About Clear Ballot Group
Voices across the country are not equitable. Public trust in elections is challenged like never before. The elections technology market is an oligopoly that has stifled innovation. The odds are stacked, but Clear Ballot rises to the challenge with a simple goal: Let’s create technology that empowers our customers to improve democracy. Elections are the cornerstone of our democracy, with voting being our greatest freedom. While most Americans across the country watch and read about elections, Clear Ballot lives them. A great election includes secure, reliable tabulation equipment, full transparency of the process, and the ability to audit the results. Our mission is to surpass those expectations in a way that will raise the bar for the entire election technology industry.
Clear Ballot is a hardware and software company, founded in 2009 with ambitious plans for growth. We started as a software only election audit company and have recently evolved to include hardware to its portfolio.
As the leader in election innovation, Clear Ballot has introduced a new class of tools and a modern approach to voting, enabling unprecedented speed, accuracy, and transparency that officials and the voting public have sought for decades. Clear Ballot entered the election industry with its first product in 2012, disrupting the industry with the nation’s first independent, automated audit, and four years later developed a complete voting system which is now the fastest growing voting system in the industry. Clear Ballot’s commitment to ease of use and modern technology means that its browser-based software runs on the most modern operating systems in the industry and will always be up to date.
At Clear Ballot, we view collaboration as one of our main drivers for success and we are open to all our employees to share their thoughts and ideas to help both to turn our bold vision into a reality and to make Clear Ballot a great place to work.
About This Role
This role involves some architecture, and technical leadership of your design, development, and integration of the latest technologies, processes, open source as well as organically developed components. You will touch almost every aspect of the software stack (except for UX and web development) – as well as opportunities to work in cutting edge areas around security, embedded side of our hardware, observability and monitoring, moving our old monoliths to more micro-service-oriented designs, cutting edge technologies such as image-based machine learning, SaaS development, and the cloud.
Strong candidates will also have demonstrated the ability to create the design for software solutions that run-in air-gapped deployments but can then be easily moved to run in a scaled cloud environment. But more importantly, have the means to build, promote, and evangelize their ideas within the organization. As well as being able to express ideas that lead to your design concepts influencing the direction of the team and capable of developing and testing applications using existing and emerging technology platforms and paradigms – becoming one of the team’s technical leaders.
What you’ll do:
- Work on products that bring our new visions around all aspects of our election’s products – software and hardware based,
- Create the designs that you and/or other engineers develop against,
- Collaborate with team members to promote, evangelize, and gain buy-in of your designs and ideas,
- Willing and can mentor and coach senior and junior engineers,
- Become a member of our engineering technical leadership team to drive technical decisions quickly and efficiently, promoting a high-performance environment,
- Work closely with the Product team to help formulate requirements to design and produce product/feature software estimates,
- Work closely with QA and integration, delivering unit tests as well as to collaborate through issues and bugs and to grow our QA automation pipeline,
- Work closely with customer success and technical services and support to help solve customer issues,
- Work with and define/promote different technologies, development process’, methodologies, tools, and open source,
- Demonstrated ability to understand, evaluate and implement new technologies,
- Ability to effectively articulate technology to less technical audiences,
- High desire to want to learn new things, be challenged and challenge those around you; not interested in being the smartest person in the room,
- An immaculate communicator,
- And stay’s ahead of the current technology trends while taking a practical approach to technology introduction.
Requirements of the Candidate
Qualified candidates will have demonstrated performing business requirements analysis to successfully design, develop, and deliver complex, and platform agnostic solutions – around scalable hardware platforms. In addition, they must have or have the aptitude to perform the following:
- Bachelor’s degree (a master’s degree is preferred) in Computer Science
- Five or more years of industry experience – more in line as a generalist engineer
- Development of products that include DB and RESTful APIs on the back end, using technologies such as mySQL, OpenAPI/Swagger, nginx, Redis/Memcached
- Object oriented experience along with a deep understanding of many design patterns (e.g., sidecar)
- Solid understanding of developing platform and hardware agnostic solutions
- System programming experience – especially around high-performance database and high transactional designs
- Experience with development using a micro-service architecture approach using Docker containers
- Experience developing for multi-cores, deeply knowledgeable of thread-based design, development, and debug
- Experience with many open-source packages, integration, and life-cycle approaches
- Familiar with agile software development methodologies, including continuous integration
- Experience in development tools such as git, JIRA, confluence, all answered, and code review tools
- Strong experience with Linux as a development platform and deployment target
- Experience with several of these languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Go, and Rust
- Experience with scripting languages such as: shell, Lua, and Powershell
In addition to the above, it would be desirable for the ideal candidate to have some of the following skills/experience or a desire/aptitude for learning them:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science
- Understands and have participated in significant cloud-based development (e.g., Azure, AWS, vCloud)
- Experience with security from trusted boot to data protection and IAA (Identity, Authentication, and Authorization)
- Deep experience in developing solutions around high-performance DB back-ends
- Experience with high-availability concepts and approaches as well as distributive file systems
- Experience with cluster-based systems with front end load balancers for a back-end highly scalable distributive architecture
- Experience in the development of complex systems with image and OCR components,
- Familiar with many common open sources such as: Elastic Search beats, Kafka, 0MQ, Prometheus, Jaeger, Vault, gRPC, MQTT, telegraf, etc.
- Experience with ARM platforms
- Experience with a massively scaled design that requires a highly robust RPC mechanisms and highly available micro-service solution
- SaaS product development
- Data science, ML, and AI experience a huge plus and differentiator
Salary and benefits
We believe that our people’s wellbeing and development are key to our success, and we offer benefits to our employees with this in mind including:
- Competitive Salary
- Ample Vacation Days
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Fantastic Life and Medical Benefits
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Our talented team and driven investors share a passion for solving problems and restoring confidence in America’s democratic process. We are looking for energetic professionals to join us in this mission.
Take a minute and ask yourself this question: Do you care about increasing transparency in elections, defending a fair democratic process, and innovating for public good?
If the answer is a resounding "YES!", we want you to join our team. Send your resume to email@example.com, and we'll be in touch.