About Clear Ballot Group
Voices across the country are not equitable. Public trust in elections is challenged like never before. The elections technology market is an oligopoly that has stifled innovation. The odds are stacked, but Clear Ballot rises to the challenge with a simple goal: Let’s create technology that empowers our customers to improve democracy. Elections are the cornerstone of our democracy, with voting being our greatest freedom. While most Americans across the country watch and read about elections, Clear Ballot lives them. A great election includes secure, reliable tabulation equipment, full transparency of the process, and the ability to audit the results. Our mission is to surpass those expectations in a way that will raise the bar for the entire election technology industry.
Clear Ballot is a hardware and software company, founded in 2009 with ambitious plans for growth. We started as a software only election audit company and have recently evolved to include hardware to its portfolio.
As the leader in election innovation, Clear Ballot has introduced a new class of tools and a modern approach to voting, enabling unprecedented speed, accuracy, and transparency that officials and the voting public have sought for decades. Clear Ballot entered the election industry with its first product in 2012, disrupting the industry with the nation’s first independent, automated audit, and four years later developed a complete voting system which is now the fastest growing voting system in the industry. Clear Ballot’s commitment to ease of use and modern technology means that its browser-based software runs on the most modern operating systems in the industry and will always be up to date.
At Clear Ballot, we view collaboration as one of our main drivers for success and we are open to all our employees to share their thoughts and ideas to help both to turn our bold vision into a reality and to make Clear Ballot a great place to work.
About This Role
As an SDET, you will work with a team of engineers in an Agile methodology to test code developed incrementally over a period of time. You will need to be comfortable working closely with developers as features are designed and be able to understand the software architecture to structure your test code, framework, and automation after. The test design you are involved with will range from detailed functional testing up to system-level testing and include load and scale testing. You must be able to learn quickly and be open to new ways of doing things. Most of all, you must embrace quality assurance and help the development team ensure correctness as the software components come together, in many cases for the first time. You will also own, manage, design, implement, and add automation tests you develop to the QA automation continuous integration pipeline (CIP).
What you’ll do:
- Work on products that bring election systems to cloud and on premise, as well as for the SaaS environment,
- Work on solutions that will run as platform agnostic solutions but also have targets they must work in,
- Collaborate with team members to ensure a proper design and test methodologies are followed,
- Develop test framework and test code to bring developer’s incremental component work to life, providing the integration and test function for the development team,
- Design, develop, and own all aspects of the CIP – working closely with devOPs which provides the infrastructure and deployment tools for this effort,
- Creating test automation from the test plans you develop or from the SQA manual test members,
- Develop test plans and execution – with the means to own and manage to automate the testing, and
- Be a key contributor to the overall quality of our next generation security solutions – being a liaison to QA.
Requirements of the Candidate
Qualified candidates will have demonstrated they have the following skills/experience or have the aptitude to perform the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar degree
- 4 - 6 years of product test, much of it at understanding complex software designs and testing them by augmenting them with test frameworks and the ability to integrate them into the bigger feature
- Create test framework and test code for assigned component/feature – interacting closely with the responsible developer in an integration and incremental testing function – leading to test automation for the developer’s incremental development
- Execute test cases and perform defect tracking and management – using collaboration tools like JIRA and testFLO
- Design, develop, and maintain the continuous integration pipeline; experienced with CI/CD frameworks such as Jenkins and GitLab
- Contribute to building automated regression tests from cases for our continuous integration pipeline framework
- Build up test framework, mocked containers, and emulation techniques to test developers’ small incremental commits to bring up complex solutions and features before the developer does,
- Developing testing tools and resources to aid in testing effort.
- Work within the Agile Kanban/Scrum software development methodology.
- Test components in isolation and in totality – providing software integration test strategies
- Manage and drive the git projects for every release for development
- Experience testing platform agnostic software, running on intel-based servers as well as ARM-based systems
- Proficient in at least two scripting languages (Linux Shell, Lua, PowerShell, etc.)
- Experience working with automation testing frameworks and pipelines (e.g., Jenkins, gitops, Docker)
- Experience in testing enterprise-level integrated backend server applications (distributed systems), such as micro-services and RESTful APIs
- Experience in testing cloud and web-based applications
- Experience in HTTP(s) protocol knowledge, web and application servers, and DB
- Experience testing Docker containers and orchestration-based products such as Kubernetes
- Experience in testing a multi-platform system for Linux and Windows
In addition to the above, it would be desirable for the ideal candidate to have some of these additional skills/experience or a desire for some of them:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or similar degree
- Help define and lead the effort to implement quality requirements and processes.
- Experience with deployment tools such as ansible, terraform, chef, puppet
- Experience in security application testing (e.g., rules-based, signature-based, traffic analysis-based security)
- Experience in load balanced, clustered and high-available systems
- Experience with building load and scale performance testing
- Experience with security vulnerability testing
- Understand VM concepts, with a string understanding of virtualization concepts
- Understand/Experience in deploying and testing with clouds from Azure and AWS
- Experience in testing systems utilizing open source
- Experience in a SaaS, and/or multi-tenant hosted environment
- Experience testing systems that scale regarding clustering and high availability
Salary and benefits
We believe that our people’s wellbeing and development are key to our success, and we offer benefits to our employees with this in mind including:
- Competitive Salary
- Ample Vacation Days
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Fantastic Life and Medical Benefits
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Our talented team and driven investors share a passion for solving problems and restoring confidence in America’s democratic process. We are looking for energetic professionals to join us in this mission.
Take a minute and ask yourself this question: Do you care about increasing transparency in elections, defending a fair democratic process, and innovating for public good?
If the answer is a resounding "YES!", we want you to join our team. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be in touch.